Saturday, November 26, 2011

Banana Nut Bread

I got this recipe from my mother probably 20 years ago. It's simple and Oh So Good!
Here's the original recipe card my mother gave me. You can tell it's been well loved because it's a bit stained and no longer white. Notice my notes of baking times for cupcakes (muffins) and mini's. And yes my mother's name really is Mona Lisa.
You can bake a loaf and easily store it in the freezer for 6 months. That's if it doesn't get gobbled up right away! Two loaves will fit in a gallon ziplock bag, I like to wrap them individually in saran wrap first.

Banana Nut Bread
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
4 very ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350. Blend eggs, oil and sugar together. Add in bananas. Sift together salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour. Stir in dry ingredients a little at a time. Stir in nuts (I prefer pecans, or you can use walnuts). Pour mixture into greased and floured bread pan. Bake for about 50-55 minutes.

Note: Once a banana gets too ripe for me to eat I will place it in the freezer until I have enough to make Banana Nut Bread. The bananas stay good for at least 6 months in the freezer. Once I'm ready to bake the bread I place them in the sink to thaw. You can run under water to help remove the banana peel.

I'm sharing my recipe with Sugar Creek Hollow, Passionately ArtisticThe Stuff Of Success and
Tatertots And Jello.

3 comments:

  1. I have a million bananas leftover from my Thanksgiving banana cream pies. I am looking for a new bread recipe to try! This one looks so moist and yummy! You should come and enter my Vanilla Bean Paste giveaway! http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2011/11/vanilla-bean-paste-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM! I can just smell the banana bread baking!

    I was so sick during my pregnacy ...all I could keep down was carnation instant breakfast and Banana bread! ;D

    ReplyDelete