Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tissue Box House Tutorial


Today I thought I would do a tutorial on how to alter a chipboard house to make it hold a box of tissue.



I start with a plain chipboard house. I think most craft stores have them. I get mine at Hobby Lobby. It sells for about $4, unless I can catch it on sale.


First I take a box cutter and score the top of the chimney.


After I score the top I can start to remove the "square".



This is what it looks like after removing the "square".



Now It's time to cut a whole through the roof.



Now you can see through the chimney.



Now a small square box of tissue can fit inside.



Now it's ready to decorate.



It's a bit time coconsuming to make shingles, but I love the texture it gives the house. If you look at some of the other ones I have posted on my blog, you'll see some of them are painted, rectangular shingles or patterned paper. All of the houses that I've made I've sealed them with Mod Podge. It's gives them a nice sheen and strength to the shingles too.



I fill the windows with Liquid Glass which gives them a nice reflection. The window frames are created with square nesting dies, then just adding a small strip of paper for the criss cross. The front door is placed on a tiny hinge so you can open and close it.  For this house I thought it would be fun to add the little white picket fence. The patterned papers and butterflies give it a touch of whimsy.



http://ferrellgraph-x.blogspot.com/2010/10/autumn-tissue-box-house.html

[10.5.2009+046.jpg]

http://ferrellgraph-x.blogspot.com/2009/10/halloween-tissue-house.html

[christmas.tissue.house+001.jpg]

http://ferrellgraph-x.blogspot.com/2009/11/christmas-gingerbread-house.html

[tissue+house+4.jpg]


I hope you liked them and are inspired to make one too. If you check out the links you will see some more photographs of the houses. I'm still working on trying to take better pictures. :)

This is being linked to Cheery Lynn Designs, Embellish Magazine, Tatertots and Jello and
Passionately Artistic.